Saturday, February 21, 2009

'Math Tutor'

I'm currently working as a math tutor. I can't say I'm the best at what I'm doing, but I think I have one thing to brag about to others who have tutored in the past.

You see, there are some people who can teach a kindergartener how to add and subtract. Other people are good at teaching higher maths like calculus to high schoolers.

I, on the other hand, have done both......AT THE SAME TIME!!

Imagine this: I'm sitting at a table in collared shirt and tie. Across from me to the left is just about the cutest 5-year old girl you've ever seen, working on addition and subtraction problems I made up for her. To the right is an 11th grader doing calculus problems. Here's a sample interaction:

".....so, if there are three frogs on a log and two more hop on, NOW how many do you have?"
".....five?"
"GOOD!!!! Now, can you work on these next few problems?"
"...ok....."
(turn)
"Alright, so.....To do this integral, it's probably easiest to use this substitution....."

The place where I work likes to do individualized tutoring, but keeps the cost down by having up to three students per tutor at a time. Tutors are supposed to keep the kids busy by assigning problems during the class period and dividing up the one-on-one time. As you can imagine, it's not usually that simple.

One thing I found strange is that they specifically asked whether I was more comfortable teaching math or verbal, but never asked about what age groups I was comfortable with.

Well, I suppose they did ask me if I could teach kids, but it was after they hired me, and besides, what was I supposed to say?

...Not that I'm bad with kids or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment